Armed robbery reported in M.C.


Pictured above are security camera photos of three suspects involved in an armed robbery at SG’s Market in Milford Center Wednesday night. The suspects got away but officials believe they know the identity of at least one of the men. (Photos submitted)

Investigators say they feel confident in capturing at least one of the alleged armed robbers of a local convenience store, based on information obtained through a traffic stop 30 minutes later.
“You just have to think, ‘How ironic,’ that we have this and then, however many miles away, one of our guys pulls them over, not knowing it is the suspects,” said Union County Sheriff Jamie Patton. “We really caught a break.”
According to information from the Union County Sheriff’s Office, at about 7:31 p.m. Wednesday, a 911 caller reported an armed robbery at SG’s Market, (formerly CJ’s) 5 S. Mill St., Milford Center.
The caller said three men entered the business wearing masks and hoodies. The caller said one of the men had a silver and black handgun.
“After allegedly stealing money from a cash register and a bank bag, the suspects ran from the store and into an alley behind the business,” according to information from the Sheriff’s Office.
Investigators from the Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene. Witnesses were not able to offer a vehicle description or direction of travel.
The preliminary investigation determined that approximately $2,000 was stolen during the robbery.
The men were located about a half an hour later, though law enforcement officials did not initially know it.
According to reports, at about 8 p.m., a deputy on patrol stopped a 2012 Honda Accord near the intersection of U.S. 42 and Route 161.
“During the traffic stop, it was determined the vehicle and the occupants were the suspects from the armed robbery in Milford Center,” Patton said.
He said the driver was identified and removed from the vehicle.
“A loaded handgun magazine was recovered from the driver’s pants pocket,” according to information from the Sheriff’s Office.
Patton said that after being removed from the car, the driver “refused to comply with the orders of the deputy.”
Instead, the man ran back to the suspect vehicle and drove away.
Deputies along with officers from the Plain City and Dublin police departments pursued the suspect vehicle onto the eastbound lane of U.S. Route 33.
Patton said the pursuit reached speeds of more than 100 miles per hour and was terminated at the intersection of U.S. 33 and I-270 in Franklin County.
Patton said investigators “have a pretty good idea” of the driver’s identity, but are not releasing it because he has not been charged. The robbery remains under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office.

...For the full story, select an option below.

Comments are closed.