Fire results from power being restored to vacant home


Local firefighters were able to quickly handle a fire on Elwood AvenueTuesday. An unattended stove at the vacant home caused the fire, officials said.
(Journal-Tribune photo by Tim Miller)
Fire officials say they are fortunate a passerby noticed smoke coming from a vacant home.

The Marysville Division of Fire received a call about 4:50 p.m. Tuesday. The caller reported smoke coming from a home at 139 Elwood Ave.

“When we got there, it was vacant, nobody home,” Fire Chief Jay Riley said.

Riley explained the house was a rental property and had been vacant.

“They were in the process of trying to reoccupy it, but they hadn’t taken possession yet,” Riley said.

He said because work was being done, there was a good bit of clutter in the home.

The homeowner contacted Dayton Power and Light about restoring electricity to the home.

“When DP&L reenergized the home, the stove was in the on position,” Riley said.

He said items on the unattended electric stove caught fire when it was turn on.

“There was fire, but there was more smoke than fire,” Riley said.

He said it took “just a couple minutes” for the firefighters, along with the Allen Township Fire Department, to extinguish the fire.

Fire officials reported fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage through the rest of the home.

“There really wasn’t a lot of property damage, so they should be able to clean up and resume getting it ready to occupy very quickly,” said Riley.

The fire chief credited the caller for saving the structure.

“We are really lucky that someone noticed it and called us when they did, before the fire really got going and there was a lot more damage,” Riley said.

He noted that this situation underscores the need for the public to be the eyes for the fire department.

“If you see something, notify us as soon as possible so we are able to act quickly and protect the community and property,” said Riley.

...For the full story, select an option below.



Comments are closed.