The home at 20385 Route 47 outside of York Center was considered a total loss after a fire early Thursday morning. When crews first arrived on scene, the windows were blown out and the house was fully engulfed.
Multiple fire crews responded to a blaze at a home at 20385 Route 47 in York Township early Thursday morning.
“We received a call at 3:28 and were initially told it was a grease fire,” Liberty Township Fire Chief Lloyd Segner said. “The deputies arrived on the scene and marked it a working fire, it was fully involved.”
Firefighters and equipment from Liberty Township, Allen Township, Marysville, Richwood, Leesburg Township, Mount Victory, Bokes Creek, West Mansfield, Bellefontaine, Delaware Medic 4, Union Township, and EMA responded.
“Chief (Douglas) Stewart of Jerome Township lives in the area and was first on the scene, he established command,” Chief Segner said. “It was a Liberty Township fire.”
When crews arrived on scene they quickly realized the home could not be saved.
“The windows were blown out when we got there,” Segner said. “We couldn’t extinguish the fire and we couldn’t reach the hot spots. We called in a hoe and the home was torn down.”
The floor was unsafe, according to Segner, and the firefighters were unable to go inside the structure to try to salvage the home.
While the home was considered a total loss, there was only one minor injury reported.
“One of the kids had a quarter-sized burn from something, but he was going to get that checked out after things had calmed down,” Segner said. “Everyone made it out safely.”
After talking with the family, Segner said the cause was a grease fire in the kitchen.
“They were supposedly making fries when the grease caught fire,” he said.
The fire shut down part of Route 47 while crews got it under control.
...For the full story, select an option below.