Marysville City Council member Aaron J. Carpenter was in Washington this week to participate it the planned “Save America March.” Carpenter had VIP access to the event putting him the front rows for President Donald J. Trump’s speech, shown above. (Photo submitted)
Marysville councilman said he saw no signs of violence at rally
Marysville City Council Member Aaron Carpenter was in Washington for the protests earlier this week, though he says his experience is very different from that of others.
“I was completely safe all day. I did not see any violence,” Carpenter said Thursday. “I did not see any riots. I did not feel threatened. I did not see anything but patriotism and love for our country. This was my experience.”
Carpenter said he “joined hundreds of thousands of peaceful, innocent people in our nation’s capital of Washington, D.C. to support President Donald J. Trump and to peacefully protest voter fraud in the 2020 election.”
Carpenter said the size of the crowd is the first thing he noticed.
“My first thought was, ‘Holy cow, look how many people there are,” Carpenter said.
He explained that he and his father left Marysville about midnight Wednesday morning, arriving in D.C. about 7 a.m.
Carpenter said that he had VIP access to the President’s speech and event at the Ellipse.
“I was in the second or third row,” Carpenter said.
He said he didn’t see any agitators or trouble makers.
“I didn’t see anything but patriotism,” Carpenter said.
He said that because he was near the front of the rally, he was near the back when the crowd started to move toward the Capitol building. He said that from where he was, he did not see any violence or disorderly conduct.
“I don’t mean to say it didn’t happen, just that I didn’t see it,” Carpenter said.
He added that his experience was 100% peaceful and “was drastically different than what the mainstream media is reporting.”
“The American people exercised their First Amendment rights today, and I am proud to have joined them. Freedoms of speech, assembly and expression are and always should be supported by all Americans,” Carpenter wrote in a social media post Wednesday.
He explained that he had to leave early and couldn’t get cellphone coverage in Washington. He said it wasn’t until he was on his way home that he learned of any concerns.
“I cannot speak to these reports, but I will be the first to condemn any and all violence that took place today,” Carpenter said.
He said the media, “has mischaracterized what was, for the vast majority of people, a sincere and peaceful protest of corruption at the highest levels of our nation’s leadership, and is now hysterically sensationalizing what only a small fraction of people participated in at D.C.”
“It’s okay to support peaceful demonstrators and call out violence all in the same breath,” Carpenter said.
He said it is unfair that “those few anarchists, who were obviously only there to cause trouble, seized the spotlight.”
“Republicans are and must remain the party of law and order,” Carpenter said. “Assaulting police is patently unacceptable and it is not who we are. Breaking into the Capitol building is patently unacceptable and it is not who we are.”
Carpenter said he is still processing what happened in D.C., but is “ashamed of those actions, no matter who did them.”
He added, “it upsets me that my activism is overshadowed by those things.”
He said the people that know him, know what he stands for.
“I will never stand for violence,” Carpenter said. “I don’t care what party you are from, I will condemn violence.”
He said the country is in “a troubling place right now.”
“I now seek what I can do to turn our nation to God and to love each other, again,” Carpenter said. “I’m praying for America, for peace and for unity. I hope folks are willing to work together with each other, and with me, to get America out of this mess and start moving forward.”
...For the full story, select an option below.