Wiring believed to be cause of fire

0

Firefighters work to contain a house fire on Chestnut Street Wednesday afternoon. The fire caused extensive damage to the home, though there were no serious injuries.
(Journal-Tribune photo by Will Channell)
––––
The Marysville Fire Department responded to a fire at the corner Chestnut and Ninth streets Wednesday afternoon that torched a home and caused an overnight hospital stay for a firefighter.
The fire occurred at about 12:18 p.m. and caused extensive damage to the interior of the house at 428 Chestnut St. According to Marysville Fire Chief Jay Riley, nobody was home at the time of the fire. He said the only injury was a firefighter who experienced a minor cardiac episode caused by high heat and was kept overnight at Memorial Hospital.
The Red Cross is assisting the family that occupied the home.
Riley said the fire wasn’t caught until it had already caused significant damage.
“It really wasn’t noticed until the fire came out of the house,” Riley said.
The house is no longer habitable, and Riley said it would need “extensive remodeling” to restore it to a livable state.
Riley said authorities believe electrical wiring in the back of the house caused the fire. The first floor saw extensive fire damage, while the rest of the house saw significant smoke damage.
The fire took about 20 minutes to contain, and a portion of Chestnut Street was closed for about an hour.
Riley said many old homes have older wiring systems to match. Families use modern appliances in older homes, and the wiring can’t handle it.
He said residents experiencing problems with the electrical wiring should hire professional help. It’s important, he said, to find the source of the trouble.
“Have a licensed electrician come and check it out,” he said. “Don’t try to do it yourself.”



...For the full story, select an option below.

Comments

comments

Comments are closed.