Marysville’s Riley Karnes competes during a 2019 cross-country meet. The Ohio High School Athletic Association has canceled its Early Season Invitational. The meet was scheduled to be held on Aug. 15 in Franklin County. (Photo submitted)
Marysville High School cross-country head coach Luke Sundermeier nailed it.
He talked with the Journal-Tribune earlier this week about the sport being put on the state’s non-contact list in the midst of the coronavirus.
As such, the Monarchs would be able to go ahead with competitions against other schools.
At that time, however, the coach still didn’t have high hopes the 2020 campaign would begin on time.
“I’m not going to hold my breath,” he said.
Sundermeier was referring to the Early Season Invitational that was to be held in the middle of the month.
The Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) has canceled the meet, which was set for Saturday, Aug. 15.
The meet was slated to be held at Fortress Obetz and Memorial Park in Columbus.
The OHSAA made the decision to cancel the meet on Wednesday because large events in Franklin County have not been approved due to COVID-19.
“It’s just one of those things,” said Sundermeier during a telephone interview with the newspaper this morning. “We knew it was going to be a coin flip and we tried to manage that mindset.”
Although disappointed his boys and girls runners can’t open the season per the original schedule, the coach said it won’t have a dramatic impact.
“Sure, we were looking forward to competing against other schools,” said Sundermeier. “Our athletes haven’t had any live competition since we ran on March 7 at the state indoor track championships in Geneva.
“However, the cancellation isn’t going to throw us out of whack as far as our training,” he said. “Our biggest goals are always at the end of the season.
“This isn’t that big of a deal for us,” said the coach. “I just hope it’s not a sign of things to come.”
...For the full story, select an option below.